Saturday, January 06, 2007

Road Trip

I need to say first of all that I am incapable of writing comments now even using the inblog website from my home computer, so there will be no replies until further notice.
I went to Safita after the New Year Eve, as I recovered from my “flu”, and today we came back. The travel was the worst I have ever been to in Syria. First there was rain, then before we reach Homs there was snow again on the sides of the road. Traffic Police (aka 115) said the roads are patent with difficulty. We stopped in Homs for a bit then took off. Then came the foggy part; visibility was anything from 3-40 meters at most. An area of clear roads followed, then snow started to fall near Qastal – it was more like small hails.
Here, dad made a mistake and hit the brake. The car started swinging and my dad fought to keep control. I must have been thinking to myself: oh no, not again. My mother definitely had flashbacks of a previous similar incident (check my post on Nov 17th 2005), in addition to her life before her eyes. As the car was getting out of control it decided to face the right hand shoulder and make a jump off it down to the lower land (1.5 meters deep roughly). It was like the movies. As we made the jump, dad was dead silent, mom had a panic attack for sure, and I was like: Shit, we’ll miss lunch.
Luckily enough the van on our right side was slowing and didn’t hit us on the side...
Luckily enough where we landed was drivable...
Luckily enough the car didn’t break, no engine damage...
Luckily enough there was a sand ramp 30 meters ahead we could use to get back to the freeway...
And luckily enough no one was hurt.
As we got out of the “ditch” there was an accident 100 meters ahead in which a car had a smashed front as it apparently ran into, or under, some big vehicle. In retrospect, I preferred our luck. Needless to say we didn’t exceed 70 km/hr afterwards. And yes, we made it to lunch (we were invited).
And as usual, here is a drawing of what I think has happened then.

5 Comments:

At Sat Jan 06, 12:46:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger Unknown said...

I am glad you are safe and sound.. but what were you driving in? a Hummer? lol...

RnD

 
At Wed Jan 10, 04:13:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger GraY FoX said...

loool
that's a damn lucky trip :)
7amdellah 3al salameh :)
anyways
concerning posting comments buddy
when you press on Post Comment link you are directed to a white empty page
simply go to the address bar where there's a long url, cut the link after the phrase "?file=" and repost it again. and here you go :D

 
At Sat Jan 20, 02:00:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger ba661009 said...

Hello Bassam,

as you were in Safita again: were you able to find the historical map of Safita now?

MP

 
At Sun Jan 21, 10:18:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger Bassam said...

Not really, that's one of the things I gave up on so far. I need to be a foreign tourist to get something like that from abroad, lol. But if you have any idea where it can be found, let me know

 
At Wed Mar 14, 08:28:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger yegna said...

i have copies of the books 'mathematics for fun'(1980 ed.and a very old edition from the 1960 was also around) and 'physics for fun'. They are very good and teach the concepts of the subjects very nicely. I am happy that you could read it. I thought these books and their are not there anymore.

ravi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home