Monday, September 11, 2006

Some logic really works sometimes

A few days ago, I saw a bunch of workers digging a hole in front of the building where we live in Damascus. When I asked them what they were doing they said that a post, that was somewhere else, should be here instead of were it is now. At first they talked about a road post that was no more than 2 meters away and was there for years. I learned later that they were talking about one of the new city posts for doctors and stuff.
I was able to stop the guys from finishing and make them pause until the weekend is over. I wasn’t able to get the number of the lady engineer who was in charge. I then left town for a couple of days. Of course they suggested extending a claim after they are done with work (نفذ ثم اعترض).
Yesterday, I saw different guys continuing to dig, so I asked them about the work permit, and the number of the engineer directly supervising them. Then I talked to him.
I mentioned that it is inappropriate to have the post where it is planned to stand, and that it should be kept in its place or moved somewhere else.
He explained how it was placed wrong to start with, and this is intended for people to see and read, so I told him that he was planning to have the post placed behind a tree, and that no one would read it, and that this is unacceptable. Then suggested that they use the other corner of the street where there is nothing to block, and nothing blocking.
He said that he is only a عبد مأمور but he will see and talk to the workers.
To my surprise, after I returned home 8 hours later, the hole was gone and there was a new one with electrical outlets placed on the other corner.
Good news is... some people really can be convinced with logic as opposed to following concrete rules.

4 Comments:

At Mon Sep 11, 03:13:00 PM GMT+3, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Sometimes it takes people making a stand to get change too. Take some credit.
Felicia

 
At Thu Sep 14, 08:21:00 PM GMT+3, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abo elBeeeeeeeeees! ya 3eni 3alyk!! :D that's the trouble making I like! You make me feel so proud! Syria needs a bunch of guys with this spirit like you put in power positions;) That's the only thing that might bring positive change to this place.

 
At Sat Sep 16, 07:56:00 PM GMT+3, Blogger Bassam said...

Thanks for the kind words. Of course this is a trivial thing. But I know many stories about the bad situation in المحافظة where everyone gets bribed to facilitate building violatoins and staying silent about it. Those kink of stuff cannot be solved with logic, maybe with guns and powder.
In my case, I don't think anyone was really financially involved, so it worded.

 
At Wed Sep 20, 09:56:00 PM GMT+3, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well... it seems it was a moment of naivety and unrealistic optimism on my side. Gun and Powder is definitely what we need >(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home