Thursday, August 24, 2006

Western Union

One of my relatives owed me some dollars, and it was set that he will transfer me the money through western union, which has several locations in Syria now.
I am not sure how it is supposed to work, but this is how it worked.
I waited... and waited... then waited, and no one contacted me regarding the transfer. Then my relative calls me from overseas to tell me that he was called by Western Union because I didn't pick my money. So he asked them did you call him and he didn't come. The answer was, of course: no, he should go there (indirectly meaning that I was responsible for not knowing that I should make a guess or a telepathic effort to figure out that I have to go without being summoned).
So I went and took the transfer number and my ID. After 5 minutes wait I was given my money in... Syrian pounds.. I requested that I want them in dollors, the way they were transfered to me. But the clerk told me that it is against the Syrian laws to deal with dollars this way.
Who is the asshole who made such a law into existance. I thought we have made huge steps in letting private banks open and have transactions in dollars possible, but now they tell me that it is against the law... Shame
I know now from the Western Union rules that usually the payment is in the currency of the country the amount is sent to, but also US dollars are the other option in the majority of countries. They do this because in addition to transfer fees, they collect the difference in currency exchange done on either sides.. Smart huh!!
To sum up, no more Western Union, for me.

9 Comments:

At Thu Aug 24, 11:10:00 PM GMT+3, Blogger Ascribo said...

made huge steps in letting private banks open...

Are you kidding?

Anyway, How about saying that you need to go to Lebanon everytime you want to send an application to a university? The smart guyz in US blocked the Syrian Commercial Bank, and the smarter Syiran ones wouldn't allow you to send US DOLLARS out of the country, in any other goddamn way...

Do you call it a BANK when you're not allowed to send money anywhere in the world? Wel, I don't...

 
At Fri Aug 25, 10:19:00 AM GMT+3, Blogger Bassam said...

I didn't know about that!!! I thought it is otherwise

 
At Fri Aug 25, 10:09:00 PM GMT+3, Blogger Ascribo said...

It's both ways. When somebody sends you dollars, they're happy to get dollars "IN" the country, but not to you of course! But to the Bank Of Syria. And they give you Syrian Pounds for your money.

When you want to send money out of the country, you simply are not allowed to.

The whole thing is about keeping Dollars "IN" and selling as much as possible of Syrian pounds. Otherwise, it's not going to work for "OUR" national economy.

And we have to persume that MONEY is not coming out of the country by other means....

Just let it go

 
At Sun Aug 27, 11:58:00 PM GMT+3, Blogger Bassam said...

I thought that in the new private banks, you can make international transactions, like transfering money and such things between accounts. So if you have an account in dollars, the logic says that dollars are going to get out, because syrian pounds aren't.
I may be wrong, but I should ask about it.

 
At Wed Aug 30, 10:22:00 PM GMT+3, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"SCREAM" I get BIPOLAR DEPRESSION just thinking about having to deal with Syrian laws or system again!

 
At Wed Sep 06, 08:00:00 PM GMT+3, Blogger Ascribo said...

I would say it's better to ask about it, or even to try to do it.

But trust me with this one: Don't use what "the logic says" that much when dealing with such a thing. It'll end up being wrong most of the time!

 
At Thu Sep 07, 11:32:00 AM GMT+3, Blogger Bassam said...

In fact I asked about this. If you open a bank account in dollars you cannot transfer money out, but you can get it in. I am not sure whether your withdrawal will be in syrian pounds or dollars from the bank.
But here is the funny thing. You can transfer dollars out if they were "Transfer dollars". These dollars need to be purchased from an official currency exchange clerk, and it is more expensive than the regular dollar (almost 1 SP more expensive).

 
At Fri Jul 04, 02:00:00 PM GMT+3, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We give out loan to honest people whom will pay back the loan.You can contact us on our email ojilee1960@yahoo.com.

Best regards,
Oji Lee.

 
At Tue Feb 10, 02:30:00 PM GMT+2, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know someone who is in syria who is claiming that you can't send money from syria to egypt through western union, is this true?
please email me the answer
mogame11@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home