Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The Art of Smiling

My cousin was here yesterday, and I spent the AM hours (late AM hours so no one gets confused), going with her on several errands.
The final station was at the Assad library, which has security processes like a military campus. It is a huge library with what should be a huge collection of all kinds of books. But I don't know the data.
What is going on so that people can't show you their teeth anymore?? At least the good teeth, those of a smile. If you ask someone a favor or a question, which is a natural right of yours, you get the idea that you are a bank robber or asking for illegal sex. Not a single smile, from the loan manager who disgustingly signed our permission passes (her thoughts at that time may have been: damn bastards they made come back into the office while I wanted to go out for my severth brake for the day), to the archive attending (her thoughts could have been: I was happy here doing nothing, where did these folks come from now???), to the digital indexing officer (is this bitch through with her questions??).
Not to be blamed with negative thoughts as always, the guys at the safety locks (shelves rather) were cheerful.
A smile is not only seen. It can be heard too. The one thing most of clerks in our government ran offices did not learn, or no one stressed on them they should do. Take for example the "what do you want?" of the airport arrival and departure clerk instead of "How can I help you?". the "what do you want?" includes also a subtext saying "I have more important things to do that waste my time on you silly questionj, go read the newspaper."
When your needs are not met, it is not a problem when you are faced with a smile and a simple apology. But when you get it with a frown and a look of annoyance, you get the feeling you did something wrong. It becomes your fault after all.
And please, I hope no one stands up and say, poor guys they don't get proper salary and how do you expect them to be happy?? This is a common phenomenon, and the cure if not from inside, is but active teaching and instruction.
When a patient comes to me and I greet him with a stern or poker face, he will probably walk out saying to himself "what an asshole", some doctors do that, and I guess they do get paid well in general.
Once again, the customer is not right. Is that possible?

2 Comments:

At Sat Apr 15, 01:13:00 PM GMT+3, Blogger Bassam said...

That is right, with Laxatives and Haifa all people would be living in the toilet or dreamland, and no one will bother to come to work. Thus, no one will frown at you or such things...
Why did you guys go into medicine, should have pick psychoanalysis. A freudian may even suggest this is all early childhoos oppressed sexual desires resulting from an Odipus complex and introverted fantasies.....

 
At Mon Apr 17, 10:17:00 AM GMT+3, Blogger Bassam said...

Thanks Sampsa for the comment. I didn't realize that, I was referring to Franch, English and Italian that I know for sure they don't have a character.
Glad to hear you are a fan of Damascus... Next time you pay a visit make sure to let me know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home