Sunday, March 05, 2006

Watching Sport

I think I mentioned that earlier, but currently if anything drives my attention on TV, it is Eurosport. Constant events are showing all the time. Some need tactic and brain, some need physical fitness. But in general there some kind of enthusiasm that accompany watching a game.
Even in what can seem as a stupid game (for example: Nordic combined. A bunch of men jumping off a high slope to fly at a rate of 90 km/h and land after 120 m or so); so even in this kind of games there is some kind of euphoria watching people repetitively doing the same move over and over again. And the reason is this: there is something that feels good about human achievements, even if it wasn't me doing it, or if it was a fraction of a second difference. There is nothing like victory in a fair play. The feeling or the victory is eventually transmitted to me through that representative of the human race who, for example, just beat the world record in 400 m free style swimming. Or a new record in 100 m hurdles, and so forth.
We all experience something similar everyday. It may not be physical sport, but mental. For example, in this new game I got introduced to, Sudoku (a puzzle made of numbers), I get so excited when I solve a very hard level one, and so frustrated and limited when I can't.
Challenges are what bring our society forward, one hopes so. The necessity is the mother of inventions. And despite that there is no "invention" at sport, apart from making better equipment. But the challenge lying within is the mother of the quest to excellence, I believe.
I wish every time I watch a game that I was a player. I also wished that I could perfectly play an instrument, or had a lovely voice so I can sing, and so forth... But I think knowing the limit is good, not because you can work within them, but because once limits are known, you can work to surpass them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home