Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Attending myself

A year ago next March, I was in Florida attending and presenting at a Palliative Medicine meeting arranged by my training program at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation.
At the time there was a full team video-recording everything that was going on. The idea was to make this available online for people to use and benefit from (and maybe later make it a Pay-per-view thing).
I didn't know this thing was in effect really until today. So I spent the last 20 minutes listening to myself presenting in the conference online. Too bad there wasn't a video recording (only sound), but that is OK as for sure a dial up modem is not going to handle motion pictures well.
The thing I wanted to say is that I was impressed. I thought I did badly that time. But I exceeded my expectations. Well, maybe I did badly on the second one, which I did not attend today. But anyhow, it is funny to hear yourself talking. I don't know if any of you had a similar experience: to be in the opposite side while you are watching or hearing yourself talking, and listening at the same time, and maybe taking notes of what you said, and criticizing.
The thing is that I didn't hate my voice this time. It must have been modified. I know mine is usually horrible and kind of nasal. The first time I heard a recording of myself I fell on the ground from laughter. I couldn't believe that such a weird unearthly sound could come out of me. But my vocal cords are probably getting rougher.
It was also different and weird because I am hearing myself talking in English (not my native tongue, as you know). It always sounds worse when you hear yourself at the time of talking, but hearing this reassured my again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home