Saturday, December 03, 2005

Small Sky

Three days ago or so I went with three of my friends (Lina, Lama, Shaza) to watch a movie. Recently the Damascus International Film Festival was held over a period of one week. I didn't watch or participate in any of the activities, but as they were going to play the movies that were selected for the first three ranks (gold, sliver and bronze) we, or rather I, decided to watch the cream of them all, the golden prize recipient.
In the Cham theatre (the only one respectable in town, to my knowledge) the movie played. In the beginig there was a short movie (that also got the shorts' gold prize) that had no dialogue and I didn't get what it meant as I didn't see most of it.
Now to the feature presentation, an Argentinean movie called "Small Sky" or "Il cielleto" or something like that in Spanish. The movie is briefly about a young man who seemed to be a crook, used to live with his deceased grandmother. After she died he takes off and gets stuck in what is smaller than a village and work at someone's for food and shelter. He has a wife and a son. The wife gets abused and the son cries all the time, which is the most that any character said over the 90 minutes. "How are you" and "fine" made half of the rest of the dialogue. And in total the dialogue would fit on two A4 papers. The boy gets used to the man or vice versa, and the wife runs away after she was certain the boy is in good hand. Subsequently the young man runs away with the boy after he steels some money. The money gets stolen from him and he becomes homeless. Eventually decides to accompany a young criminal on a mission and gets shot and dies during that.
The meaning of the movie: never go to a golden prize film in Damascus.
The movie was slow in its pace, and I believe that everyone left cursing the hour they decided to watch it.
P.S. if this is the best movie in the festival, I am glad I didn't participate in anything else.
I was so ashamed in front of the poor girls who had to put up with me and the movie. So I guess that as I was banned from selecting a movie in USA by my friends, same thing will happen here.
Piece of advice: watch Madagascar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home