Monday, November 07, 2005

Privacy

Is precious, and mine, as well as many others', is lost somehow here. Living in a family requires compromises, and despite the fact that most of us are used to that and cope with it in one way or another, but the transition from one situation where you are the king of your world to another where you are not is not easy.
Leaving all the luxury of not being nosed on and check out even at the very early hours in the morning is something to be missed; the luxury to do whatever I wish for and whenever in the realm of privacy; the luxury of going in and out without having to report to someone, not because you don't want them to know, sometimes, but because you have to as a part of a unit; the luxury to not be bothered by neighbors and their tittle-tattle. All of these are things that are a part of the norm, the usual life here, but a part that is easily forgotten and forsaken outside the unit when someone goes abroad (at least most of the time).
I hated roommates. And I had few in my life; there presence would be nice at the beginning, but after the first 3-4 weeks it becomes nerve-racking. That privacy and solitude is lost again. I would get angry, frustrated, short tempered, and annoyed (except for my last one, whom I should give credit to, as we seldom met at home). There departure would usually bring a sigh of content and the influx of a new fresh air. I could be messy, jump around, walk about naked, bang my head on the wall, and just be my real self (which is not pretty at times, LOL).
So far one of the best times for me here was last week as I spent 5-6 days alone while my folks where abroad. I did what I wanted and slept outside and messed up the whole place, etc (of course I restored everything to its original state before they arrive). If I wanted I wouldn't answer the phone, enjoy the loneliness I missed and decided not to go anywhere where I would know people and be expected to stay at their company, and just enjoy the time for myself.
Mind you I dearly love my folks and my relatives or anyone I may be staying with or at. But that thing they cannot but take away from me; it is healthy to have it every now and then so the craziness inside unleashes and settles down to start a new cycle.

6 Comments:

At Tue Nov 08, 03:47:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger Sinan said...

Man my roommate left like 10 days ago, to spend some quality time with his family, I couldn't wait till I shoved him out of the room, but after spending all this time alone, no one to talk to or share your concern with, I am at the edge of losing sanity!!! Solitude is nice once in a while but I guess that we - human beings - must have company otherwise it could get messy, this why most phsycos live alone.

 
At Tue Nov 08, 10:48:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger Bassam said...

I would rather have the company outside my four walls, that is what had anyway. and it works nice.
Signature: Syrian psycho, LOL

 
At Wed Nov 09, 01:59:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger GraY FoX said...

lol..... lonliness inside the house is always great... it's a place where you can scream an d cry and get naked and noone says a word .. BUT YOU

 
At Wed Nov 09, 01:50:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger moryarti said...

I lived alone for 10 years - got married last year - i love my wife .. but miss my bachelor pad :)

 
At Wed Nov 09, 06:12:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger مترجم سوري said...

wallah ya bassam i wouldn't agree more

 
At Sat Nov 12, 03:29:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger Bassam said...

Thanks for all the comments. I have to highlight that by the time I am married, or so, I will be making a concious decision to compromise that privacy there. As for the unhappy girls out there... you have my support

 

Post a Comment

<< Home