Thursday, November 17, 2005

Accident, Almost 2

I think I have not touched wood enough and kept congratulating myself on not getting myself involved in any traffic accident so far. It is still the case but this time it was too close.
I am driving to Safita with my mother to spend a couple of days. Not long after leaving Damascus we were talking about various things when, all of sudden, it seemed that a couple of IGNORANT BASTARDS decided to cross the highway regardless of the traffic. I was driving at 75-80 Mph at the time. I had two cars in front of me (it could be only one though) and the first had to really brake and try to avoid running over the people crossing (in retrospect they may have deserved it). So naturally the one behind it (in front of me) also applied the brake but swerved a bit to avoid collapse. And naturally too I did the same but had to swerve at a sharper angle, and I must have kept some brake at the beginning of swerving; there was a bus stopping near the shoulder and I had to swerve sharply in the opposite direction (in all this the car was sliding). Then I had the option of swerving again or hitting the median separator (the one the IGNORANT BASTARDS were trying to cross). It seems that I chose the first and swerved again this time making a 180 degree turn and starting to move backwards after that, at the time I managed to park it on the shoulder facing the coming traffic. I don’t remember how the gear was put on neutral but I think that may have helped a bit in the backward movement.
No cars were damaged and no one was hurt (although I wished it for a couple!!!).
We stayed in the car and, to my surprise my mom has said nothing during the whole thing. Poor her, I believe the scare was too much for her to speak up. We both calmed down and the guy in the car in front of us has already stopped ahead of us and came down to make sure all are alright. After he apologized (although not his fault) and made sure nothing happened, my mom asked him:
“Aren’t you Mouhannad?”
“Yes, I am Mouhannad Mshalla7” he said. But he didn’t make and suggestion that he recognized my mom, which kind of upset me more than the accident itself.
Then he thanked goodness for the safety of all and left.
After he left another guy came to make sure that everything was fine, and he told us to calm down before continuing to drive. It was then that I made a comment of wanting to shoot the people responsible for this, as I saw no reason for me to calm down.
Then I asked my mom about the “Mouhannad guy” and how come he didn’t know or remember her. So she explained to me that he was one of the “Superstar” candidates last year (the Arabic version of American Idol).
The rest of the trip was uneventful, but the adventure is still unforgettable.
I tried to draw a sketch of what happened below…

2 Comments:

At Sun Nov 20, 12:43:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger GraY FoX said...

lol that was totally unbelievable ....
Damn you are good at demonstration man .... 7amdellah 3al salameh anyways..
if i was in charge of traffic plioce ... I would sentence such reckless people to death

 
At Fri Nov 25, 07:00:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger norman said...

I lost few freind in Syria in motor vehecle axcedents a doctor and two engineers Syria needs more mentained roads and better trafic laws that are enforced .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home