Saturday, November 12, 2005

Shall We Dance

So finally I watched the "shall we dance" by Richard Gere and J. Lo (the American version). And for those who do not know it is after a Japanese movie holding the same name about a shy white collar worker who finds joy in dancing. I can almost bet that very few have seen the original movie (I did, before the American of course).
I have to admit that I expected it to be worse, but I still prefer the Japanese version more. It has more authenticity. The story line and events are pretty much the same (I can't tell about the conversation as I didn't memorize it). But what struck me most is that they didn't explain the reason behind "Paullina" leaving her partner and the thing with the fall on the dance floor (as happened again in the competition with Gere), which I thought was very important and also a matter of dancing ethics. The original movie is more believable and has more depth in the relationship and expression of feelings. The sadness that overwhelms the main female character is indescribable in the Japanese version, to the point that J Lo's interpretation of it seems more like smiling.
Anyway, I have to make a couple of comments here. If anyone is interested in watching a real dancing movie with a plot around dancing and its passion, this is not the oneā€¦ this is made to be a blockbuster (for box-office) having the once "sexiest" man and the most expensive ass (and legs) in one movie. My suggestion is: go after the movie "Strictly Ballroom", a real masterpiece I believe. It is directed by Baz Luhrmann (I hope I spelled it right), an Australian (and so the movie) who is well known for "Moulin Rouge".
The second comment is that I hate remakes, 95% of remakes are crap and do not rise to the level of original (except in visual effects maybe). And that includes adaptations from foreign movies or local movies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home