Sunday, November 13, 2005

Accident, Almost

I went to pick a cousin of mine from our beloved "interstate bus station" مركز كراجات البولمان (which I have to write about someday). During the process of getting her to where she is staying we met, or rather were met, with a parade of cars with young people holding the Syrian flag and patrolling the city. In fact they were patrolling the way I wanted to take. They drove slowly and made a traffic jam that cannot be encountered at noon on a Sunday. That was of course annoying, to me at least and to thousand other drives at most. And although I do not exactly know the direct effect of such a parade, but here comes one of the indirect ones :p
Anyway, I was coming from Mazzeh and preparing to enter the tunnel (there is a new tunnel there that links the Mazzeh and Al-Ma3rad Streets). And traffic was reaching the middle of the tunnel, which was a bit unusual. I came to a halt and waited there, patiently I may add. Behind me was an ancient pickup of the famous سوزوكي type. And as there wasn't really anything happening in front of me, I was staring in the rear view mirror. All of a sudden a white car coming fast whose driver apparently was, as I like to believe, not aware of such a halt and tried to apply the brakes unsuccessfully. So he ran into the Suzuki car and finished the trip by kissing the median separator. It seemed weird as the normal behavior would have been he would come to hit the car behind me, then me, then the one in front and so forth. But the tunnel make a right turn (90 degrees) so there are two possibilities here, or three. The first that he was on the right lane (I was on the left) and tried to avoid hitting a car there so he swerved to the left. The second is that he didn't know there was a turn and thought it a straight road. And the third that he is drunk and didn't know what he was doing.
I have to thank the gentleman in the car that was supposed to be in my place before the accident as he chickened out and started to get backward from the tunnel thinking that he will never move from his place. Little did he know. And if it wasn't for this act of stupidity I would have been right now still fighting with the asshole who ran into me (but now fighting with the Suzuki guy).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home