Monday, October 31, 2005

فول نابت

It is now getting to feel like winter, or rather, late autumn time. People not used to cold feel it is like Siberia here, but that is just an exaggeration. One benefit of living in very cold places for a long time is that you know what really cold is like.
If this means one thing, it means the start of cold weather traditions, and most notably: "grown fava beans (GFB)", literal translation of فول نابت.
And today I had my go at it. Standing there at the side of a movable big cart, with a huge pot in the middle, slowly heating the GFB, and the steam entering my cold nose to change into liquid, and nose drips (I think that is the scientific reason behind the fact that whenever you eat GFB your nose drips, at least mine).
At the side of it a bowl is filled to the top with big and tasty (not McDonalds, but) brown broad big fava beans, topped with some cumin and lemon slices. Eating the inside of every single bean and trashing the peels just feels like an old ritual that never dies. I don't remember when was the last time I had it, but it brought back nice memories of cold days of old; a daily habit sometimes.
Around me are many young university male students chatting and cursing and getting expressing there anger. It is as if I am looking at myself the mirror of time machine. So long I have waited for things like this, and others. And I shall make a list of stuff I missed abroad from Home here (as you can guess, it is mainly a food list).

1 Comments:

At Fri Nov 04, 07:45:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger GraY FoX said...

lol.... looks like people in other regions do not have food as much as we do here ;)
khalas ya jama3a.. just come to syria like bassam did .. and we will invite you to all of those...
but we'll start with bassam since he is here ?? anything you would like on ur mind ??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home