Saturday, August 13, 2005

Notes Off The Road

Today I drove to Safita in order to have some time for myself, and to celebrate tomorrow the “Virgin Mary’s day” or عيد السيدة in Marmarita, another small village in Syria not so far from Safita. I will talk later about the “time for myself” but I would like to make notes of things on the way here, which is 95% on highways.

Things that shouldn’t be on the highway… but are:
1. Pedestrians
2. Bicycles
3. All drivers and their vehicles

Things that shouldn’t drive on the shoulder… but do:
1. Motorcycles
2. Buses
3. Tractors
4. Vans
5. Cars
Oh, and by the way, I forgot to mention that all these were driving on the shoulder… in the opposite direction, in a considerable speed.

Things that shouldn’t happen on the highway… but do
1. Hitch-hiking public transportation
2. Driving at a ridiculously slow speed (especially trailers)
3. Crossing the highway as if it is a neighborhood street
4. Selling goods on the shoulder
5. Double bypassing (bypassing a car that is already bypassing another on a two lane way)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home