Saturday, August 13, 2005

Al-Janneh / Saydnaya

Finally, I get to go to Al-Janneh. For more than four years and I hear people talking about it, how good it is and what an extraordinary restaurant it is. The area of Saydnaya is full of new and old restaurants, some are good, and some are mediocre. But again, food is the only thing that is successful anywhere in the world. And food is what we do for socializing. This is why this time I gained around 7-8 pounds since I arrived (just to give an idea of how active I am).
The place is on the main road after the square. The setting is beautiful. Once we arrived at 2 PM there were barely anyone there, and I started wondering about its popularity. But as I was told to wait and see, the place was totally packed in a matter of one hour and a half. Needless to say, you will definitely recognize three or four tables; even me I saw people that I know. One of them was Randa (a colleague of my brother), and some other doctors and family friends. I didn't expect to see any of MY friends because again, they are all gone (not entirely true because a couple of days ago, a university colleague caught me parking the car and we chatted for half an hour before he tells me his name).
The place had gardens and flowers that were well taken care of. The service I thought is good. Despite the fact that my brother asked me to get an Argileh, I didn't know why as the one in Kan Zaman is even better (especially the one we had in the guys night out). Food was good, and plenty. Each table should seat with it at least four persons who can't afford that kind of luxury because the amount of food that gets thrown away is ridiculous (in case they don't throw it and reuse it, I don't wanna go there again). One exception is the raw kibbe, I think I had much better ones, especially at Adonis in Detroit. The only thing that blew my mind is how much food they have in storage to feed all these people (no less than 1,000) and even more for those coming at dinner time.
We didn't go to Saydnaya's convent but I took a picture of the Sherubs' convent (دير الشيروبيم).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home