Monday, August 15, 2005

Marmarita / Carnival (read this before the pictures)

So I arrived yesterday to Marmarita. I have to say that the way to Marmarita is quite different from the other roads. The reason is it is located in a tough mountain areas and the roads are a series of blind curves which shows nothing, and anything can be around the corner (animals, people, automotives, nothing… you name it).
My cousin has already reserved a table for us in one of the cafés where the “evening stroll” or Kazdoora happens. The table he wanted on the pavement was occupied “illegally” by some girls, so we were offered a table on the “front line”. Our table was on the street and offered a full unobstructed view of everything that passes in front of us. This is, in case anyone was wondering, people and cars and what’s inside them. There was no menu as they offer one of two things, pizza or shawarma. We had a Hookah (Argileh) and some hot beverages in addition to pizza which wasn’t bad. We sat for almost 3 hours and my cousin would tell me little stories of anyone who passes; I forgot all of them already.
After we went home we got out again and stayed at another café until 2 AM. In the time out between outings I just enjoyed some time with my aunt and cousins, all of whom I haven’t seen for seven years. I also briefly met John Salameh who is an old friend of mine (one year ahead of me in medicine).
By the time we arrived home we decided to play some cards (Morto) and I lost. I think we eventually slept around 4 – 4:30 AM.

Next morning my lovely cousin (another one)بكل وقاحة wakes us up to have coffee with him and his wife. This was around 8 AM. We had no other choice but to get up and have coffee then washed up and had breakfast.
Today is the Carnival for Al-seydeh Eid (عيد السيدة) and everyone is preparing for it. There are lots of parties around this area, and I was torn between going to one in Safita with my cousin Majed, or staying in Marmarita after the Carnival for another party with his siblings. That almost led to a problem that was solved later by deciding to separate.
I also learn today that I have to cut short the time I devoted to myself to go back to Damascus soon (in a couple of days). Grrrrrrrr… Hate it but what can I do.
I had some time with other relatives/acquaintances (including John who advised me to go back to USA).

As per the Carnival, it was anticipated as usual but I think with fewer crowds this year. But anyway, the crowd that was there was enough to have all sorts of people around. There were lots of girls (and guys too, but why shall I talk about them!) strolling or standing to watch, and I can imagine myself hearing Philip saying: صوّر، صوّر (take a picture; he knows what I am talking about). There is one exception, which is that I actually did this time (compared to the first time we used the reference). There were rumors about it not happening, and I think people are starting to get afraid some (that explosions may happen or something of the sort). Nothing happened of course, at least until when we left to Safita.
The Carnival is basically a parade of hand made moving displays. Most are built on tractors or trucks. Others are on feet and are dressed up in all sorts of things. I have pictures of what all was like, which should be published at the end of this blog entry.
Our location was good, the parade started around 5:30 PM but I think arrived after 6 PM to where we were. We had a balcony, unobstructed view; and the best thing was the roof where everything is visible including some photo art pictures I had (silly smiley).
Explanation of what was the parade like can be found in the pictures.

One thing I have to add, there were lots of people there, mostly young. And the thing that drove my attention (if you are less than 18 please click NO, except Lulu) is that every single girl is… bosomy (silly smiley again). This is my rational: if we get a collective population, boob size curve should be a bell-like one (remember statistics), with most averaging a “B” or “C” cup. Well, the curve here is skewed to a degree that most average around a “C” or “D” cup (hardly any “A”s… two silly smileys). So neither anatomically nor statistically this is possible which leaves very few options (can you guess?!!!). This is also evident in the art photos I took (numerous silly smileys) and I apologize in advance to anyone who may get offended but my silliness. It is just innocent fun (funny smiley).

And here are the pictures, I hope you enjoy.

By the way, I have spent a good deal of time to cover this event and really worked my ass off. Thus, any criticism is strongly prohibited (angry smiley).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home