Monday, February 06, 2006

Super Bowl XL

And why would I write about an event that is taking place in a different continent, no one here cares about it. It is the final match of the NFL (american football). Most people here, including me before I go to USA, think of the game as a bunch of people jumping on each others and throwing a spindle shaped ball.
In addition I haven't really cared much about the preseasonj, the regular season, or even the play-offs. And this has been the way even for the last few years in USA when I only watched the Super Bowl. And now it is time to do it again. But this time alone without my buddies.
The Super Bowl is a big event in USA, and probably the most watched event throughout the year. And it got more famous I think after the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction" two seasons ago. The ads are very expensive, but very funny too. And I can tell this year ads are better than the last year.
The biggest problem was to find a channel that broadcast it. All the sport channels on Arabsat, Nilesat, and Hotbird were useless. I spent half an hour browsing over a thousand channel. But eventually I had the genius idea of checking the Hebrew one: Amos. It has only four channels and one of them was live broadcasting the match off ABC.
I was excited, needless to say, and then started preparing my bedroom to fit the event. Got some nuts, soda, and toasted bread (كعك) and then sat in the bed, rather laid, and started watching... alone. And who would anyway stay up from 1:00 till 5:00 Am to watch an event that doesn't intrest them the least??
The first quarter was shameful, and I thought the Pittsburgh team would not do well. But eventually the game took and different turn to the best and it became exciting. Pittsburgh won eventually. My friend Michel must be excited, if he ever cares.
I miss the gatherings for the Super Bowl with my friends. And I hope some of them are reading this now. And if they watched it yesterday I hope they remembered me too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home