Sunday, January 01, 2006

Marmar (Introduction to Syrian Nightclubs)

So, I haven't been here for a while now. But as the New Year approaches and the current one prepare to let its last breath (and I swear I have nothing to do with it), I thought I should let out everything I have before we start again at page one.
Two days ago I went with a group of friends to Marmar, probably one of the first nightclubs in Damascus. And for those who don't know me very well, I am not much into nightclubs. But let's talk about this one.
The first thing we wanted to do is check another nightclub, a new one called "Domino", located, as usual, in Old Damascus. It feels like the whole old town is going in the next few years to transform into restaurants and cafes. All are crowded and function day and night, hot or cold. This one was apparently crowded so we took off to Marmar.
I presume that the context is the same. There is a bouncer at the entrance who collects cover charges "دخولية". A bouncer and cover charge are the last things I expected here, and it felt out of place. I know some will say just be more flexible or what's wrong if we had these or that is what a nightclub needs, but hey that is my opinion.
Anyway, inside is an old house transformed into a bar and tables with young people sitting around and drinking. The atmosphere as you may expect reeks of smoke, and I did too after we left. Loud music is a must too, but only few danced, relatively speaking, in comparison to foreign nightclubs. It looked more like a pub than a nightclub if it wasn't for the dancing.
People there are of all kinds, mainly young, maybe yuppies. A famous singer came a little bit with her group. Dress code is casual, and as I was in the working costume, minus the tie, I felt much overdressed. The table next to us had a girl with two dudes, or should I say: a bitch with two pimps. At least this is how they looked like. Her clothes were probably suitable for a pub in the western hemisphere but here it looked out of place. That didn't prevent all of us (boys and girls) from staring at her one string covered back, uncovered belly, and half hidden G-string; or should I say half "deliberately" shown G-string. Her dance style is حدث ولا حرج and I leave it up to your imagination to figure out. Now this is a place where you should go if you want to hold a conversation, at least a serious one, shouldn't go if you don't like drinking, and shouldn't go if you like peace of mind. Doing it once in a blue moon may not be that bad, but I wouldn't if I have the option.
One good thing that came out of it is seeing some old friends or folks. And sure enough if you have been in this part of the world for a good deal of time you will run into someone you know, as certain group go to certain places.
One thing I know for sure is that I miss the old outings to popular places like the old days. It feels artificial to be in these places here in Damascus. But again, the gang I used to go out with is not here anymore. Life goes on and we must change and adapt, at least I.

1 Comments:

At Fri Apr 04, 07:36:00 AM GMT+3, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bassam...i was thinking about my trip forecoming to see family members who reside about half an hour out of damascus I am led to believe. You have definitley turn off my expectation of nite life in syria....I just cannot believe that sucha large country with relative population have not one decent place to get on the happy pills and let your soul free...
PS can you rate the girls out of ten (rating based on looks and personality)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home