Monday, December 12, 2005

Copper Man

I apologize first of all for not posting as frequently as I wished I could. But the arrival of my bro and the start of the new job is taking most of my time.
Anyway this is a photo I took a while ago and this gentleman is practicing one of the still remaining "on the go" professions of yore in Damascus. He whitens copper pots and plates and so forth. I am not sure what this is called in English but in Arabic he is a مبيّض and I calle him "the Copper Man".
He uses the pavement as a platform and something like a muffler as a tool for letting fire to heat the pots and the substance he uses. It is not environment friendly but it is authentic and nostalgic in a way.

3 Comments:

At Mon Dec 12, 10:34:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger Ghalia said...

I know that copper is very unhealthy to cook in, as it get disslove with the acid in the food! oops I drifted away from the topic anyways I think this job is going to die out very soon. ur pic is going to be "shahed 3ala el 3aser"!

 
At Tue Dec 13, 04:20:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger GraY FoX said...

lol do you believe in the story that tells that the origin of the Twist dance is the mbayed ??

 
At Thu Dec 15, 02:00:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger Bassam said...

LOL. I would like to know the story behind that. To be honest with you, although it sounds silly but I googled twist and mbayed but didn't get any good hits :)
Maya and Ghalia, thanks for your warm words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home