Thursday, September 29, 2005

An evening with فرقة قوس قزح (Rainbow group)

A couple of days ago we got tickets for a vocal concert in Beit Jabri (بيت جبري) in Old Damascus. One of the members is an acquaintance and thus we knew about it and could get tickets. I wish there is something like ticketmaster or an information kiosk that makes available what kind of activities is happening. If you don’t know people from inside then chances are you may not know about them.
We, me and my bro, arrived at 7:30 awaiting the concert at 8 sharp. Ten minutes to 8 there was a power outage that lasted for about 40 minutes. People were tolerant and no one complained meanwhile. The group started instantly after the outage, at which time they were even ready to perform with no microphones and electricity.
The group for those who don’t know it, it directed by a Mr. Brimo بريمو and consists of four different tones of voice (alto, soprano, bass or something like that, and another one maybe baritone. I am not good at this). They select traditional and folklore songs and remix it then sing it in four voices. Songs they sang included tunes like: يا لور حبك, فوق النخل, طالعة من بيت أبوها, طلعت يا محلا نورها, and others.
There were two or three other interesting works that were kind of funny or interesting. In the first they tried to imitate drums with sounds (the famous دم تك), in the second they took the role of goods-sellers (باعة جوالين), and in the third they mixed some Christian and Islamic tunes together.
Overall I enjoyed it, few songs were probably ill chosen but the rest were well done. My only disappointment was with the solo soprano voices that sang songs. I thought they could be better sharpened. Compared to the musical I watched a couple of weeks ago (and slaughtered in my criticism) this is much better, and would get 8/10 at least. There will be one at Christmas time, so I will be looking forward to that.

1 Comments:

At Mon Oct 03, 04:11:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger Ayman Haykal said...

I went to their Christmas concert two years ago. They are just great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home