Monday, September 19, 2005

A Musical

I was invited today to attend the premiere of a musical made by Ziryab Orchestra. The musical was called "The Final Tale: of Sharayar's nights year 2057". They have awebsite www.thefinaltale.com which I haven't checked out yet.
Although the show was disappointing to me, and I will detail that, my excitement was due to visiting the National Theatre المسرح القومي for the first time (apparently now called "Dar Al Assad for Culture & Arts دار الأسد للثقافة والفنون", similar to everything else). The building is nice from the outside and the inside, I didn't have much time to look around, but it seems there is more than one hall or theatre. The architecture, as one may predict, is a mix between some modern and Islamic designs.
The musical, I gave it 4.5/10, at most:
1. Acting: was a little above high school level, maybe.
2. Singing: there are some good voices, but I felt that most is recorded and they were lip-syncing. I hope I was wrong.
3. Costumes: horrible, there was a remarkably fat actor who wore tight clothes and a disgusting tight shirt too. Dancers were wearing bright and contradicting colors. Only the heroine had some good taste. I don't think there was a costume designer, because if there were any he should be hanging from a rope attached to the ceiling.
4. Decoration: bad taste, some designer was trying to be inventive (a modern art sculptor for sure). All decorations were made with colored glass that made no sense (i.e. nonsense).
5. Music: was probably the only good part of the whole thing. 7/10.
6. Lyrics and story: too boring and redundant. Occasionally words feel as if they were forced into a song
7. Choreography: okay, generally speaking. But there was a guy dancer (I think they are all from the ballet school) who seemed not to be in sync with others, and he doesn't dance well too. I think he is the son of somebody مدعوم and was imposed on the director.
8. Directing: oh, and by the way, there was no mention to any director in the brochure, unless they call him something else here. So it is probable that the group is trying to break new grounds in self-directing. It sucks anyway.

From now on, I will stick to English musicals. At least there is something of entertainment in it. Alas!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home