Saturday, September 24, 2005

Jordan

I was away for three days or so in Jordan. It was my first time in this country. I haven't seen much of it, but here is an account of what I saw.
The first thing that strikes you is the sudden change in landscape as you cross the borders. There is barely a tree or any green on the way to Amman, not surprisingly as Jordan is more like a desert, for the most part, and has no sea access up north (besides the Dead Sea). The second thing is the huge care taken to make the roads as best as possible. I would say from the Arab countries I have been to (Syria, Lebanon, Egypt and Jordan) the last has the best roads, traffic signs, even drivers to some extent follow the rules. I hear police there are just below God (تحت الله بشوي), and they have great authority. And they are unbribable (unlike here). Despite that Jordanians are known apparently for speeding giving the country the highest rate of traffic accidents death in the Arab world.
In Amman, most buildings are covered with white stones. There are many villas in some areas that are ridiculously expensive, and some are a pure piece of art. My cousin commented before that Amman has a higher per capita rate of BMW and Mercedes than Beirut, but I think I disagree. Or maybe this is because I were there during the weekend, so not much cars on the streets.
The bad thing about Amman is that you barely see any green, or gardens. An overlook of the city from the "Le Royal" hotel shows blocks of endless whitish buildings and nothing more.
One good thing about it too, is the number of good restaurants in the city (and coffee shops). I twice had my favorite "Fillet au poivre" cooked to perfection (medium rare) and was satisfied. Finally, somewhere that knows how the meat is cooked.
One night we were taken to the Dead Sea. At night it can't be seen at all. It is like a black hole. Across the Sea is West Bank, clearly visible. The best I could do was to get to the shore and dip my hand in it. Never taste the Dead Sea water, it is extremely salty and bitter too, and it feels to the hand like greasy water. I was told that swimming there is an adventure in itself. Floating is a no-brainer for anyone, because sinking (for humans at least) is physically impossible. It is trying to swim normally that is a problem. And never get any drip of its water in your eyes, or you will ache like hell for I don't know how long.
I wish there was time to see Petra and Jarash. I hope I could go soon and visit these two places and the Sea at daytime.
I am sure my cousin would be able to comment and add to what I wrote, if he is still following.

1 Comments:

At Tue Sep 27, 12:02:00 PM GMT+3, Blogger GraY FoX said...

welcome back home ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home