Thursday, August 04, 2005

Doctors' Life

Yesterday I was invited to my dad's group of doctors, and others, at dinner. They apparently gather every time at someone's, or one of them invites the others. There is a sense of belonging within the group that reminded me with mine in Cleveland (and vicinity). They are all funny, like to joke (verbal or practical), like to eat, drink, swap mobile photos and jokes, and like to talk. I was the spoiled one being the newcomer and the youngest. But blending was not a real problem, as they were very friendly. I missed my dad's friends.
I have to get used to too much food. Man, it is compulsory to eat. It feels like I got few pounds on so far; it's been only a week since I came and everything is starting to look familiar. The good news is I didn't get the "travelers' diarrhea" yet. LOL (knock wood). Once a Syrian stomach, always a Syrian stomach.
I have also gotten the first proposal to meet someone (with the intention of being my other half). I am sure the doctor was serious about that, and his willingness to arrange "the meeting". So all you single guys over there have to come here, and stop complaining about the lonesomeness. If you know the right people, you have made your first step. Needless to say, I made a joke of the issue and didn't comment anymore (although I was told if things go well, medicine will be a hobby… LOL)
The house we went to, (houses in Damascus are actually apartments), was the forth floor of a building and occupies the roof. This of course means that there is a nice breeze of air most of the time, and plenty of balcony space. Half uncovered and half covered with brick. No noise as we were afar from the main streets; just beautiful.
I forgot to mention that there was a waiter (hired) to serve us. These private services are flourishing here nowadays. The way of life is somewhat changing. Parents are usually working long hours so kids, cooking, cleaning and other household activities are the responsibility of imported labor. The bad news is that some of them are not trustable (remember that they live with families), and language may be a barrier. The good news is children learn other languages (which will never help them) or broken Arabic, LOL.
Well, if after 20 years I will be like this here in Syria, I want that. And hope my friends will be with me too. It is so difficult separating from and meeting new people. I like things to stay put. No matter how many people I know, real friends are few and I am so selfish that I want to keep them for myself.
And by the way, for those of you who know him, I got in touch with John Salameh (from Marmarita) who is an Aventis rep. and got to talk to him as he works with my dad. I am sure Ayham Moty will recognize him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home