Saturday, July 30, 2005

Adjustments

In the beginning lots of adjustments may need to be done. Some are simple some are not. Huge differences exists (those who have been to Syria before know it well) in comparison with the States (or any other first world country). So, a little of what I should get used to now is the following:
JET LAG: amazingly I didn't have any yet. I sleep a bit late at night and wake in the morning.
FOOD: is a constant question. Do you want this, how about that and that and… I am used to two meals a day, at most. But the food is better of course, authentic. I will need to try some local filet mignons here. I am starting to crave one.
DRINK: it seems that there should be alcohol everyday, and no age restrictions. The other day, when I arrived (there aren't many days yet), people where over, we were having dinner and such. I asked for a beer initially and so did one of the women and a girl in her 14th year of age. The guys asked for whisky. And as I was told that "the ladies are drinking beer" and "the guys are having 'hard liquor'" I was like… hello no. let it be Arak.
TELEVISION: I really pity them here (and myself later). There are like 200 channels through satellite. They are summarized into either news (essentially the same everywhere) or music channels featuring every unknown performer with a bunch of half naked girls, terrible voice, lyrics and tunes. Half the screen is filled with mobile messages to the channel representing the utter nonsense our people has gotten into.
DRIVING: I will talk about that after I get my new license and start driving. So far walking has been hazardless (unless walking under the sun… in fact it feels like on the sun)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home