Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Adventures Of Ears

This is another entry from the other blog I had. Many of you know that I have a hearing problem, but I am not sure how many know about my hearing aids. The life of a third deaf is interesting, but also difficult at times (by the way Lulu, all of what is here is due to your dad, and I really owe him). I have pasted it with minor editting, hope you like it. :o)

Yesterday I got two new hearing aids. Man, it is like moving to a different world. I can't believe the kind of crap people listen to. All of a sudden I started hearing the slightest clinkings here and there.I got that wooshing blowing sound when I first tried it on. I thought that my bad luck came back again, the aids are not working well. Of course they are okay, that is the air vent sound, said my audiologist. "Air vent" sound?!!!!!!! What the fu** is the air vent sound for? Totally blows my mind. I was happy with my car, it is still new you know; only three years, feels like thirty now. I would probably have to take it to the mechanic. Even the sound of driving on the road is different, background noises are horrible, and the worst of it all... If I am on telephone coil mode I can catch the fluorescent light electricity buzz. So what next??? Intercept my neighbor's phonecalls!!!My voice is so loud I am afraid of talking, it wasn't like that when I had a unilateral analog hearing aid. It feels like a TV set inside my head, if this is what auditory hallucinations sound like they are scary.
I haven't used them yet while eating, that will be a total disaster. Anything that crunches will feel like a screw turning in my ears. So now I can see my food, feel it, smell it, taste it and hear it too. This food sounds delicious.
I feel sorry for people who hear well, they will never be happy, there is always something around them that will drive their attention. They have to live with noise, I don't. They have to listen to bull**it, I don't. They can't isolate themselves from others' conversations, I can. They have to deal with coins clinking in their pockets, I don't. And they are stuck in this world, I have two.
Having normal hearing doesn't make you a good listener, I listen very well, everyone said it. But don't look for an advice because I don't know what the hell you were talking about. Just kidding, not all the time.
Now I can just turn my hearing aids off, and I am back to normal life, a quite life where only important sounds are delivered, those that are strong enough. All those trivial minute sounds are insignificant. I have been living it for more than twenty years and I can still do it. I feel lucky in a way, thanks to God for giving me the gift of not hearing well, at least I have a mean of compensating for it now when I need it. This is how everyone should be born like. Only this way you can get the best of both worlds.
And anyway, what is the worse that can happen?? A police officer at 1200 midnight knocking at your door because the volume is too loud?? Uhhhhh.. Well I take back this statement, it happened once.

2 Comments:

At Sat Aug 20, 07:16:00 PM GMT+3, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i completely agree with u. alot of the noise that we hear is unnecessary. when i can't sleep at night i sit and listen to the clock ticking. and i count. 1 2 3.... 20,000 20,001 20,002. it starts to drive u crazy. that clock is now in the trash can. u r lucky that u can lower the volume with ur hearing aid. how does it sound on the streets of damascus? i imagine it is much worse than u ever thought it was.

 
At Sat Aug 20, 07:38:00 PM GMT+3, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I barely use my aids in Syria, so the noise in much reduced for me. That doesn't mean it is not noisy. There are things like the hot weather and traffic that makes you forget simple things like noise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home