Thursday, October 27, 2005

Nizar Kabbani – The Series

I have to write about this, even before it ends. As many know, and lots who don't know, the life of Nizar Kabbani (a deceased great Syrian poet) is made in to a TV drama biography. It is playing this Ramadan on Dubai and Syrian channel.
I will start, unusually, with the summary (which should be at the end). So… In Summary, this TV series is the most stupid boring unintelligent artistically flawed memorial that can be made for a great poet like him.
I don't even see a reason for his heir to raise their voice in the press and law-courts and ask for a million dollar check for using his story as a series. And the reason is that they should be ashamed to have anything to do (even if it was money) with this series. It is by the way the only one I am following right now because we have started watching it regularly from the beginning when ما كان معروف صالحه من طالحه. In addition, everyone else is watching it too. And despite missing few episodes here and there, nothing seemed to be missed.
So as usual, I will list my comments on the series now playing.
1. The series in summary is a long, in fact a very very long………….. cigarette commercial. The only thing missing is the general surgeon warning or the تحذير وزارة الصحة من مضا ر التدخين. This guy smokes in every seen he is in. he smokes more than Ra'fat Al-Hajjan رأفت الهجان. And it is likely that cigarettes were a big portion in the production of the series. I hope the actor was a smoker, because if he wasn't, he is now. In fact, I think he wasn't one, because he, even after 24 episodes, doesn't know how to hold a cigarette. So not only he became a smoker, but a bad one too.
2. The "young Nizar" actor, Teim Hassan تيم حسن, is still playing after 24 episodes. Salloum Haddad has not appeared yet. And he still has some like forty more years to live. I don't see how that will fit into 30 episodes (the usual for Ramadan) without exceeding it. Unless Salloum will act the final episode when he dies.
3. Because this series, if done well, should have been an epic of the life of a poet like Nizar, it should have been shot in wide screen format (at the time that every other insignificant series is doing so).
4. Pace of the events: snail-like. In fact it is so slow you can realize your self aging as you watch. I grew some thousand more grey hairs. Occasionally the pace is so slow I think it is going backward.
5. Acting: mediocre. Nothing excellent. Just reminds me of TV 15 years ago. I don't think it is the actors fault, but the bad scenario and directing.
6. So… Directing: is crap. Directing the actors is like shit. I can do better with one hundredth the knowledge Basel Al-Khateeb باسل الخطيب has (the series director), as well as anyone who is reading this (I am sure). There are periods of silence in the episodes and scenery watching that if cut with editing can make the series 15 less episodes. In fact it reminds me with a short series played long time ago called الخريف also acting Salloum Haddad but I can't remember who directed it (but highly suspect this one).
7. The use of coloring is not good. I think they are using old cameras. It is so brown and yellow and depressing. And if they want to say that this is to give and old time look, then they should have used black and white, or sepia.
8. Scenario: is bad, to say the least. The scenario is anything but normal speech, and is full of expressions and types of speech from other patriotic series like أبو كامل and أيام شامية or حمام القيشاني and so forth. 3/4 of the scenario is about flirting and sucking up to people, which I can do much better (and believe he did better in real life). I think the scenarist has never had an affair or a love story in her life, and is just imagining what would it be like if it was real… the answer is: out of this world (not in a good sense).
9. The general components of the series, or rather the episode, are the following. In each episode there is
A. 2 packs of cigarettes, at least
B. A new girl that he loves, or more sometime, and flirt with
C. With all these girls and affairs, there is no kissing, no kidding (I wonder when are they going to allow that in Arabic drama, while the real people are having affairs now in the open under the sun)
D. 2 poems
E. Travel to a different country
F. 1/2 hour (of 50 minutes or so) without speech
G. Finishing the episode as if nothing has really happened
10. At some point of time I felt as if the series is being made to exploit Israel and Jews and that the character of Nizar is just a cover up. Luckily that only was for a short period of the series (short as in, like, 10 episodes). What amazes me is that I haven't read about any Israeli or American condemnation of anti-Semitism yet, not that it really matters (as they cannot use that as a reason to pose sanctions or threats).

So to sum up again, I conclude that Nizar Kabbani was a doped Don Juan who traveled to different countries and wrote poems. LOL
And I dare anyone to come up with a different conclusion from the series.
At the end, I think someone with brain should remake the series in honor of Nizar's life and death too.

4 Comments:

At Fri Oct 28, 11:24:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger Bassam said...

Man, you are taking me too seriously. But let me respond. Yes, the actor is good, but telling a poem like Nizar doesn't make one a good actor, that is one.
Second, good acting needs good directing too, and I am not comparing to hollywoodish directing, just to other current Syrian works that are more talented.
Thridly, I am not talking about smoking because of being a doctor. One part is just to be satirical, and the other to make a point of the extreme excessive use of it to the point that it gets annoying.
Forthly, I agree that sometimes not much went in his life, but I refuse and see no point in spending too much espisodes and time on nothing happening.
Fifthly, I am not criticizing him being a Casanova, and if could do the same, hey I may become a poet too.
It may be an important work in dissecting Nizar's life (or some parts of it). But it is not going to be in the class of good works to be remembered, at least by me.
I will repeat that I think such a character needed more enthusiasm and efforts to make a work like this a masterpiece.

 
At Fri Oct 28, 08:38:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger GraY FoX said...

well God Bless and have mercy for Nizar's soul ... thanks god he is dead now ... cuz He would have commited suicide if he was living by now

 
At Fri Jan 18, 10:44:00 AM GMT+2, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HELLO!
I LIKE TO THANKS EVERY PERSON LIKE THE ART (TV., CINEMA , THEATER )
PLEASE, CAN YOU GIVE ME OR GIVE TO THE GRAND ARTISTE MR. SALLOUM HADDAD HIS ADRESS.
E-MAIL:
josephelhage@yahoo.com
mobile:0046 73 5633631
best regrads.
joseph

 
At Fri Sep 26, 11:58:00 PM GMT+3, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i must say i'm shocked at this distasteful critic of Nizar Kabbani. I'm watching the series right now, and i'm genuinely in love with it!! i can't agree with any single one of your comments!! it's an amazing painting of this sensitive romantic poet, it show's him as the man who loved, respected and even worshiped femininity in his own special way. Everything in the series creates an ambience in which someone like Nizar Kabbani would have lived: the flowers spread everywhere, nature, lakes, the damascene house, beautiful and elegant women and even his cigarettes!
i have read a lot about the life of Nizar Kabanni and nearly all his poems, but when i started watching the series, i realized i have never pictured his life more beautiful than that.
i can't imagine why anyone would attack such a breathtaking work of art.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home