Thursday, October 27, 2005

Cleaning Memories

How do we keep them, us Arabs (and maybe other nations)??? Surely in many ways, but one that stands out as uniform, I believe, is storing everything we ever got and keeping it in a place we won't remember after two months, adding by that to the constantly accumulation "precious garbage".
I have dealt with this when I was evacuating before I move back to Syria. I threw tons of stuff that were there just for no reason, donated loads of clothes to charity, gave away things to friends, and sometimes selling it. And it was easier than I thought. Some of these things were personal and would be considered "dear". But something worth remembering doesn't really need a material object, I think.
So what triggered writing about this was deciding to clean some drawers today. And gosh I found things that date back to primary school days, things that are no long usable, and things that are usable but do not fit the current age (both mine and the world). My dear brother likes to keep things for ever (sorry man :op). So it would be like, this is from that person on a certain event, this flower is something anniversary and this card was attached to a gift on my birthday, and so on….. LOL (with some exaggerations here). And when I got permission to "clean up" I couldn't guess what to throw or not. Basically I will clean as I wish… And cleaning is good because it brings out a memory, then you trash it. Past should be past us. And trivial things don't make it any more present.
Anyway cleaning after all was painful, not because it was difficult to part with some of things, but I currently ache because of the working out. And that was only with the lightest weights for one day. In fact it was so bad after the second lesson today that I had to ask my mom to take off my shirt, as I couldn't reach my hands beyond my head level. Taking a shower was not any easier. I had to interlock my fingers and then hardly get my hands on top of my head so they rest there and don't fall. The I would shampoo my hair like the Homsi by turning and moving my head.
I will have to stop writing here because it is getting even painful to write.
And I will expect a comment too form my bro opposing my opinion as usual and warning my against throwing anything that belongs to him…. LOL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home