Monday, July 24, 2006

The Dark Side of a 5 Star Hotel: Four Seasons

This didn’t happen to me but to my brother, who just returned from a pleasant honeymoon in Malaysia and Thailand. As newlywed, we elected to have them stay in the Four Seasons hotel instead of being guests in our house for two nights. The Four Seasons is now the most recent and luxurious hotel in Damascus. This is what happened with them:
My brother and fiancée arrived at 6 PM to check in, just to be told that they need to wait 20 minutes for the room to be ready... Not ready???!! At 6 PM? A room should be vacant at 12 PM and in order for human use.
Then my brother needed something from his luggage which was left with the porter outside. He was sent to pick it without his bag tag for identification. What is worse is that the bags were unattended, left alone, no one bothered to check whether the bag is his or not.
In the room, the bathroom was lacking a shower cap, an essential tool for every woman in need of taking a shower. It arrived after 30 minutes. The Q tips were left spread uncovered or contained.
Next day, they left the room at 10 AM, at one o’clock in the morning they return to find the room to their shock untidy. They had to spend half an hour in the lobby awaiting the room to be prepared.
Then while loading their bags in the car, it started moving on its own as the valet person forgot the pull the handbrake and left the gear on neutral.
Needless to say my brother’s temper reached its limit and after paying his bill he made an issue of all the above.

The good side of the 5 star hotel: the hotel manager called, listened patiently to all the complaints and offered a free night as my brother had to extend his stay in Damascus.

Now I am not sure whether this was my brother’s bad luck, or it is just the tax a customer has to pay being the victim of Syrian tourism.
In short, we still need few decades to be like our closest neighbors, even as they get bombarded.

1 Comments:

At Tue Jul 25, 10:58:00 PM GMT+3, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, just wanted to give you some encouraging words from an experienced tourist in Syria: every time I have been in your country, which I love very much, customer service has exceeded all expectations. I've never been in very expensive places (and I actually resent the fact that the 4 Seasons hotel occupied the lovely garden that was in its place before...), but all the hotels and restaurants I've been in have taken very good care of me. I was wondering: could they be a bit less anxious to give good customer service to locals? Anyway, it's a good thing your brother complained and got an extra night free :-)

Sampsa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home