Sunday, July 09, 2006

Best Man

So finally, we got my brother married. I look at the bed near me in the bedroom and ask myself is it going to be occupied again? The wedding was nice, trivial annoyances (especially with the flower guys at Arom: bad attitude), and everything was as perceived. And I was the best man.
No one told me that being the best man is the toughest job in the wedding. Of course I helped a lot in the preparations but I take it this is because my brother is not here. But I had no clue.
The last time I was asked to be a best man, it was in USA. No one assigned any task to me. I appeared, made what I think was a lousy speech after all lines evaporated suddenly in front of the crowd, and then returned to my city. That was relatively fine. Little did I know.
Here the best man is everything and the major person of contact for everything. Do this, do that, kick this, bake that, pay this, shout at that, this that, this that..... And so on.
I don't think I was every this exhausted mentally and physically (perhaps to a close extent just before I returned from my last trip). But the good thing about it after all is the outcome, and positive feedback. It feels like my victory (knowing that others have put a great deal of effort). I am still doing my best man duties even after it all ended. I hope not for long.

6 Comments:

At Sun Jul 09, 09:44:00 PM GMT+3, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mabrook
عئبال ما يركدو فيك

 
At Sun Jul 09, 10:26:00 PM GMT+3, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mabruk to your brother and mabruk to your achievements as the best man :) I was really looking forward to reading about the wedding, I had been waiting for the posting! No photos?

Bestr wishes from your (probably only) reader in Finland

 
At Mon Jul 10, 11:13:00 AM GMT+3, Blogger Bassam said...

no one, my dear finnish reader, thanks for the lovely words. I wish I had some photos to post. I'll place a couple once I get some of them back.

 
At Tue Jul 11, 01:31:00 PM GMT+3, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is he going to return the favor for you?
Felicia

 
At Thu Jul 13, 04:49:00 AM GMT+3, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mabrook to your brother. We want to see pictures. When is your big day? abeer

 
At Sat Jul 15, 01:39:00 PM GMT+3, Blogger Bassam said...

I think I will do the favor for myself. I will try to post some photos as they become available.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home