Tuesday, April 03, 2007

E-reading

Recently I decided to try paperless reading. I know about the concept from before, but there is no way I will be able to do that for recent publications free of charge. So, I revisited a favorite site of mine... Project Guntenberg.

For those of you who don't know, there is a vast amount of literature out there that is not copyright protected in USA, and it is legal. The sort of things that are not copyrighted are the best in the literature. Think, Tolstoy, Dickens, Shakespeare, Swift, Arthur Conan Doyle, Oscar Wilde, and hundreds of others. Many of there works is available in a webpage or text format, and... some are available in audio format (I don't know what quality as I never tried it).

The other thing I haven't used for a long time except for looking up drugs is my Sony Clie. It's 5 years old, but still functioning despite so many horrid things it endured. A program called iSilo can convert webpages and text documents to a palm readable form. With some searching and looking I was able to acquire a full version.

Now all I have to do is select a book, download it, convert it, and read it on my palm.

Now the next best thing is that I found a free palm dictionary called Noah Pro (122,000 words) that can be ran in a resident mode (meaning use the dictionary while the other program is running) which is super cool.

I have read a novel called: Friday the 13th (a tragic Wall Street broker story) by Thomas Lawson. Now I have downloaded all Edgar Alan Poe's works, and planning to read them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home