Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Syrianization

I think it is starting to get into me. The long temper I am known for is getting sometimes short, now with taxi drivers, and tomorrow with I-don't-know-who.
Today I had a verbal fight with one of the taxi drivers at the destination place. As usual, especially now in Ramadan I noticed, few drivers have the counter on. And the reason is to bluff and try to take more than what it would normally show. But I know better, because even though I have a car with me, I don't use it all the time in Damascus when there is a low likelihood of finding a parking spot, or in times of traffic jams. The normal course of action is that you should notify the driver of the turned off counter and take it from there. I occasionally do, occasionally don't notice, and occasionally do not mention it on purpose so I turn them down at the end when they try to overprice. Price is not the issue. The difference is not going to be more than 5-10 SP (10-20 cents). But it is a matter of right and wrong, right and fairness.
The best way to do this is to have enough change so you can pay the price you have in your mind. And even better is to stop the taxi near a police officer to have him as a legal backup (turning off the counter is illegal).
Today was not what I liked it to be, but when I asked the driver for what I thought should be my change. He acted rudely, so I slammed the door and threw in few bad words (no tabooed ones). He got furious and started screaming from his car, and me back to him. Too bad my mom was with me, as she tried to stop me, and did to a certain extent. Her rationale was that taxi drivers are not the best one to have a fight with, and it wasn't worth it. It is true that I am "petit" and not into fighting beyond hit and run (الهريبة تلتين المراجل), and that five or ten SP were not a problem. But I considered that I had the right, and when someone is clearly trying to "rob" you then that little money is a problem (and for other people it is an absolute problem), and what's more… I was ready for a beat-up.
I finally said to my mom: "you want me to live here again right? I think this is the start".

2 Comments:

At Fri Oct 14, 09:16:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger مترجم سوري said...

ya zelemeh u don't wanna leave syria coz of the taxi drivers do u??
if u wanna live happily ever after in syria stop comparing it to the usa

 
At Fri Oct 14, 11:51:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger Bassam said...

You know, sometimes you have an idea in your head that you can change things. وأنا لسوء الحظ معروف عني الراس اليابس والتنح. So, I know that the comparison is apples and oranges but at the same time I am not unhappy. I just find fun in the differences. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home