Sunday, October 16, 2005

Layalina

The name was stuck in my head, I don't know why or how I heard about it. It must be some radio ad or someone accidentally naming it. So today I was browsing the league of Arabic magazines that came to light since I left. So many are there you don't know what is good and what is not. Amazingly there is a magazine for everything, the ancient ones are still there, I can barely remember any magazine but Al-Shabakeh, Al-Maou'ed, Nadin, and a couple of political magazines. Now there is Mother & Baby, PR magazine, Top Gear, more political magazines… most share one thing: a picture of a pretty woman on the front page (nothing unusual). But at least I expected the Mother & Baby magazine to have a picture of a pregnant woman, a mother with her kid (something homey), etc. But instead there was a picture of a half naked woman coming out of the sea like a mermaid (fits Playboy very well, LOL).
Suddenly I remembered the name: Layalina, and decided to buy an issue. And a big magazine it was, quite heavy for a magazine. Anyway, the magazine contained like four interviews each is 2-3 pages. That is not enough to explain the bulk. Ads were quite frequent, relatively speaking.
And speaking of ads, as soon as I open the magazine here fell some detached ads. The one most notable is the following: "Allo Arghileh!" or in english "Hello, Hookah" (hubble bubble). My American friends don't like the hookah term as it may sound like something else. And to be honest I haven't called them, so I don't know if they offer that service too, LOL. The service, for those who haven't heard of it yet, delivers Hookahs (Arghilehs) to homes. I suggest to change the name to "Death at your door", or "الو، حفار القبور؟".
So the bulk of the magazine consists of:
1- Congratulations (ألف مبروك) a.k.a. طق موت ما كنت بعرسي. 2-3 pages full of pictures of people who attended weddings and happy celebrations (one page if the wedding is not in a "very classy" hotel or restaurant).
2- Society echoes (أصداء المجتمع) a.k.a. look at me I think I am pretty. Also pictures of people attending private dinners or occasions.
3- Layalina in town (ليالينا بالبلد) a.k.a. come see me I think I am cool. Again, pictures of people seen at restaurants around cities. And I think the selection criteria for the restaurant is based on price!!!
4- Spot light a.k.a. I have money and a new business. It includes pictures of people at some private businesses openings or anniversaries.
5- Shopping (تسوق): a separate section for ads.
What bothered me most is that despite tons of pictures I didn't recognize anyone… in fact that is not totally correct, I just saw a picture of a relative of mine who didn't have the chance to see me yet, so here you are. At least you may see your acquaintances.
I am not sure if some people buy this one regularly, but to me it looks more like one-hit-wonders. It is done once (and I am not calling it a wonder by the way), and never again.

I have to say that it is so much fun to whine and make fun of anything. That does not mean that I am mentally ill, I hope.

2 Comments:

At Mon Oct 17, 06:30:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger Bassam said...

very funny
PR=public relations علاقات اجتماعية

 
At Tue Oct 18, 07:04:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger Bassam said...

There is a website to the Lebanese version apparently. But even that doesn't show anything.
here it is
www.layalinamag.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home