Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Al-Mashta

It has been a while since I updated the blog, for reasons that has to do with access and time. Anyway, most of this time was spent in Mashta Al-Hilu, a village located 12 miles east of Safita. That day we were already there, invited by my brother’s in-laws. I returned with my dad to Damascus in order to meet Wael as he arrives. The poor guy took four taxis to get to my place, then with me to Al-Mashta. We drove at night as soon as he arrived, but didn’t feel the time driving there. The problem is after we took the exit off the highway, the street were unmarked, and drivers always have their strong front light on despite all the signals I gave them. Many curses and horns were sworn and honked (respectively), many of these definitely reached God. If all my wishes came true, Syria would have been less 1,000 assholes.
At some point, fog started to take over and it was almost touchable. I had to drive real slowly in order not to run over a cliff or something. What is worse that I would be driving and then all of a sudden a curve shows up, without warning or signs. Never again at night I will drive there.
We arrived directly to the party before the wedding. I forgot to mention that I went there for a wedding, and I was driving the best man (I had to look up this word in the dictionary; I fear my English is deteriorating). The party was already on and people were dancing and eating. I didn’t know anyone then except for the groom, Wael, and his mother. Later, most youngsters went to the mountain (Jar Al-Qamar جار القمر) and spent the whole night (literally, and a bit more) drinking and smoking and chatting. This pretty much is the theme for the next four or five days I spent there.
We would sleep at 5-6 AM and wake up closer to lunch time. The evening is spent at 3albal عالبال were we would smoke hookah and drink tea or something. Then at night we go to Jar Al-Qamar and do the same. Pretty much all the bad habits that could be done were performed, except gambling and adultery (LOL). In fact, I had a good time, met lots of people, and forgot about all what could be bothering me. But with that I will need a couple of weeks to purify myself from smoke, alcohol, and such.
It felt for a while that people there have nothing better to do except going out and staying up all night. I wondered whether anyone had to work next day, at least of those my age.
At night there is a “kazdoura” that takes place along the main street. Different from Safita’s, this one contains all age groups (not only 14-20).
I think from now on, if I go to Safita I should go occasionally to Al-Mashta to spend an evening or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home